Monday, January 9, 2012

The Guardian: Mothers of Boys in Red victims object to P.E.I. shuttle service's plans to expand route into N.B.

BATHURST, N.B. - Two mothers whose sons were killed in a collision involving a 15-passenger van four years ago are voicing their objections to a plan by a sh service based in P.E.I. to expand its routes into New Brunswick.

Click here to read original article in The Guardian on line

Isabelle Hains and Ana Acevedo both had 17-year-old sons who were killed in the tragedy four years ago. The teenagers were members of a Bathurst high school basketball team travelling in a 15-passenger van that collided with a transfer truck on a snow-covered road, killing seven people in 2008.

Advanced Shuttle Services Ltd, a Summerside based shuttle service, has recently applied to the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board for a permit to operate in N.B. The company uses 15-passenger vans.

The service currently operates between P.E.I. and N.S. and is hoping to expand to N.B. after the Acadian Coach Lines lockout last month eliminated the only bus link between the two provinces.

In a press release Sunday, Hains said the application "proves they have learned nothing from our sons' deaths."

The mothers said it's a public safety issue and cite their tragedy as one of the reasons why the board should decline a permit.

The EUB will allow any individuals or groups until Feb. 7 to register objections or offer support with the proposal.

Click here to read original article in The Guardian on line